Friday, October 7, 2011

Normandie & Bretagne

A pilgrimage across a wet desert...

Mont Saint-Michel is in the distance, just a blue-grey haze in front of us. The sun exists only to accentuate the contrast between light and dark. Delirium playing with the water and the two dimensional landscape.

One slow step after another. At times, water rushes to fill in our footprints -- chiding us gently.

And at other times?

The sand breathes out, pushing up against our steps. Like walking across the skin of a living creature, a sea monster. I create patterns with my eyes. The terrain perfectly molded to replicate the scales of the animal underneath. The receding water effortlessly chisels the ground before me.

I press my feet deeply into what seems like charcoal-colored cobblestones - to reassure myself that it isn’t stone, but sand – not paved, but natural. The sea’s own handiwork.

A stampede of footsteps is the only indication that it’s safe to proceed. Translucent blobs of jelly remind us that just a few hours ago we could see nothing but water here. We march through rivers, stamping adamantly through puddles, and side step pools of muddy water. Deteriorating mountains of sand...decay beneath us.

Walking perpendicular to the current of different rivers, our bodies hindered. Struggling against the pull of the tide, we push on... only to forget how to walk once our legs surfaced from the water. Clambering onto the banks of damp, packed sand – our legs seem to float onwards without us. Free of their watery chains, they move a bit too quickly – rejoicing in freedom. Like stepping off a treadmill – basking in the ease of movement.

I remember breathing in, the wind was only slightly scented of salt. How strange... I taste the spray of water in my mouth. Yes, I accepted; it was salty. I breathe in again. Lost in thought.




We’re walking across the bottom of the ocean.

But it’s been transformed.
The scenery coruscating and beckoning to us as I surrendered to imagination.

Trekking across a moment in a fairytale, journey, quest, adventure -- to save the princess, kill a dragon, or possibly uncover some arcane treasure trove. The way clearly etched out if we listened intently to words blown from somewhere ephemeral.

No comments:

Post a Comment